Re: [AMBER-Developers] Suggestions for dealing with mpich2-1.2.1p1

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:25:40 -0400

Hi Mark,
The data distribution time that is highly variable is an "all reduce" in
gb_ene.fpp for some Born-radii-related data. The actual force distribution
is showing up as pretty trivial in this overall calculation. I probably
should have guessed this - GB is an example of a method that is fairly
compute-bound, with some specific requirements that put the bottlenecks in
different places. Good to know that this particular mod is absolutely not a
problem, at least for GB, though; thanks for bothering. The variability you
do see in the all reduce efficiency is indeed pretty bad, but I am guessing
the cluster is periodically hammered or some such; "all reduce"'s are just
plain bad news, but at least currently unavoidable.
Regards - Bob