Re: [AMBER-Developers] Configure and Ubuntu

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 13:49:20 -0400

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010, Ross Walker wrote:

> I have a report from Scott at NVIDIA that the configure script in the
> release candidate still needs to have /bin/sh modified to /bin/bash in order
> to work on Ubuntu since the default 'dash' shell on Ubuntu is pretty
> stripped. Can anyone else verify this. I don't have an Ubuntu machine
> available so it is hard for me to look into this.

We test all the time on Ubuntu; see

   http://ambermd.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Amber11test

There are still some things that depend on bash (and we need to get rid of
them). But please ask Scott to give details, since neither Jason or I are
seeing configure errors (doesn't mean they aren't there.) The solution is *not*
to change /bin/sh to /bin/bash -- the solution is to get rid of the dependence
on bash.

We have similar problems with people assuming that every make is GNU make.
I'm not sure that I can win this battle, since the use of GNU extensions is
so widespread....

....dac