Re: [AMBER-Developers] Problems with AMBERTools Readme_at

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:48:59 -0500

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to install the release candidate of AMBER Tools and followed the
> instructions in amber11/Readme_at in the release. There appear to be some
> minor problems:
>

> Quick installation instructions:
>
> 1.  Set your AMBERHOME environment variable, e.g.
>
>        export AMBERHOME=/usr/local/amber11      (for bash, zsh, ksh...)
>        setenv AMBERHOME /usr/local/amber11      (for csh, tcsh)
>
>        Note: be sure to change the "/usr/local" above to what it should
>        be for your machine.  Also, you should add $AMBERHOME/bin to your
>        $PATH.

Wouldn't it make more sense to set AMBERHOME after the tar file has
been extracted? Extracting this file creates the amber11 directory

> 2   Uncompress the tar file:
>
>        cd $AMBERHOME/..
>        tar xvfj AmberTools-1.3.tar.bz2

If you do this, AMBERHOME would become $AMBERHOME/amber11, so it would
have to be updated, right? Or am I missing something...

> Consider I am in my home directory and I download and save the .tar.bz2 file
> here. I then do:
>
> export AMBERHOME=/scratch/amber11
>
> Then
>
> cd $AMBERHOME/..
>
> this returns:
>
> -bash: cd: /scratch1/amber11/..: No such file or directory
>
> And I end up still in my home directory. The tar extraction then extracts
> AmberTools-1.3 into ~/amber11.
>
> I think it would make more sense if this read.
>
> 2  Uncompress the tar file:
>
>   mkdir $AMBERHOME
>   cd $AMBERHOME/..
>   tar xvjf /path_to/AmberTools-1.3.tar.bz2

Perhaps: tar xvjf /path/to/AmberTools-1.3.tar (it should already be
uncompressed)
cd amber11
export AMBERHOME=`pwd` -or-
setenv AMBERHOME `pwd` for tcsh/csh

(In fact, this is not terribly important for install, since the
configure script overrides this anyway, but it's important later on)

> Of course the README_at file is inside the tar.bz2 file so this is kind of a
> chicken and egg problem anyway.

Agreed, though isn't it available on the web? In which case I suppose
there's an argument that the egg came first ;-).

> 3.  Change directory to src.  Type "./configure -help" and choose
>    options for your computer.  Then configure:
>
>        ./configure gnu         (example: should work for most systems)
>
> This should be:
>
> 3.  Change directory to $AMBERHOME/src.  Type "./configure -help" and choose
>    options for your computer.  Then configure:
>
>        cd $AMBERHOME/src
>        ./configure gnu         (example: should work for most systems)
>

> Comments? Shall I just update the Readme in amber11 cvs tree and the at1.3
> branch?

Those are my 2 cents.

Thanks!