Re: [AMBER-Developers] Re: Patch of configure script for Mac OS X

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:13:25 -0500

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009, MengJuei Hsieh wrote:

> I just checked-in the modification for configure script:
> 1. Added support for combination of gcc + ifort
> 2. Added support for combination of gcc + g95
> 3. Added support for Apple's Accelerate framework on Mac OS X
> 4. Avoided -Wl,-start-group and -Wl,-end-group for non-GNU linker
> 5. Avoided -static on Mac OS X

Aargh! Do we really need items 1 or 2? For item 1, are there really enough
people who have ifort but not icc? Or some other reason for wanting this?
As for 2, does g95 have an advantage over gfortran?

The reason for restricting the number of platforms (and compiler combinations)
we support is to reduce the chance of corner cases of incompatibility. Plus,
it makes life a little easier for develops if "gnu" or "intel" are the main
platforms -- I can commit a change without having to go find a g95 compiler to
make sure it works there as well.

Counter-arguments are welcome.

...dac