Re: [AMBER-Developers] Re: Patch of configure script for Mac OS X

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:41:03 -0500

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:13 PM, case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> The reason for restricting the number of platforms (and compiler
> combinations)
> we support is to reduce the chance of corner cases of incompatibility.
> Plus,
> it makes life a little easier for develops if "gnu" or "intel" are the main
> platforms -- I can commit a change without having to go find a g95 compiler
> make sure it works there as well.

I agree. I think for 95% of people out there having a limited number of
well-defined compiler combinations makes the most sense. It will be easier
to understand from the user standpoint and easier for us to maintain.
Advanced users will be able to modify their configure files if they want to
try different combinations of compilers. I think unless a clear and
significant performance benefit could be shown otherwise, vanilla intel/gnu
combos should be fine.

--
-Dan