Re: [AMBER-Developers] Adding mdwrit to minimisation?

From: Ben Roberts <roberts.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:08:54 +0100

Daniel Roe wrote:
> One unintended side effect of this change is that now during
> trajectory post-processing the output trajectory potentially gets
> written twice, once during the minimization in runmin.f and once
> after minimization in trajene.f (this is what's happening now that's
> causing the trajene and trajene_netcdf trajectory write tests to
> fail). The way I see there are two ways to proceed. One is to disable
> trajectory writing in runmin.f if imin==5, the other is to disable
> trajectory writing in trajene.f altogether. The former preserves the
> original behavior, but only allows writing of post-minimization
> coordinates. The latter allows writing of as many coordinates during
> the minimization step as you would like, but requires more care in
> choosing ntwx. Either way would be fairly easy to implement. Does
> anyone have an opinion either way?
>
> -Dan

Hi Dan,

Hmm...I confess I hadn't thought about the dangers of trying to do this.
I haven't really done any minimisation of whole trajectories.

Are you saying that for each point in the original trajectory, a whole
"minimisation trajectory" is produced, making what's almost (but not
quite) a trajectory of trajectories?

If so, I can see the problem.

Instinctively, I'd go for option #2 of your suggestion, to give more
flexibility to users and to keep their ability to save trajectories
during minimisations. But I'm not sure what you mean by care in choosing
ntwx. If ntwx is an interval which is used in both the output trajectory
and the individual minimisation trajectories, what's a sensible value?
If they are probably going to be different, I suppose we might be better
off going for option #1, for the sake of simplicity.

Other thoughts?

Cheers,
Ben

--