Re: [AMBER-Developers] depend files

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:48:18 +0100

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009, Ben Roberts wrote:

> This morning when I did a CVS update, I got conflicts in the
> "src/sander/depend" and "src/sqm/depend" files. Are these files supposed
> to be in the CVS tree? I might have expected that they are
> system-dependent and so will tend to produce conflicts or changes. No
> doubt there's a reason why things are the way they are. I guess I should
> ignore the conflicts there, and regenerate the "depend" files as needed.
> Is that correct?
>
> Along the same lines, would it be useful to cause "make depend" to run
> automatically as a prerequisite of "make"?

This has been discussed a number of times here. If you do a "cvs log depend",
you can see my reasoning....trying to figure out when depend needs to be made
seems more of a problem than occasionally having to check in a updated file.

I suppose we could just run makedepend on every invocation of "make" (by
putting a dependency on Makefile itself?). But this seems dangerous -- if
you have extra .f files in your working directory (as I often do for
experimental code testing), makedepend will include those in dependencies, and
this could lead to errors. Also, if there is ever anything wrong with the
makedepend script, running it all the time would bring compilation to a crashing
halt, probably with weird errors that would not be all that easy to identify,
especially if one wasn't thinking about the fact that makedepend itself could
be broken.

[Note: the depend files are *not* system dependent; but they do change as
the code evolves.]

I'm not sure why you are getting conflicts in CVS updates, however. If you do
see these, you could track them down, or just manually recreate the depend
scripts.

I'm not unwilling to go back to the old way...that would tend to make sure
that the makedepend script gets better and better as flaws in it would be very
visible.

Innovative suggestions are welcome.

...dac