[AMBER-Developers] more MKL questions

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 17:51:35 +0100

Hi:

I'm looking for any MKL experts that might be lurking out there. Here are
some questions:

1. Intel has changed the names and types of things like libmkl_lapack.a in
version 11. The configure scripts incorrectly identify MKL verison 11 as
being "version 9.x or earlier" (at least for me). Is there a good way to
identify the version?

[Note: versions 10 and 11, at least, have a "versionquery" source code in the
examples subdirectory. I guess we could try to find, compile, link and run
this inside the configure script...but I'm hoping there is a simpler way.]

2. It looks to me, however, like there are no actually differences in static
linking schemes between MKL versions 10 and 11 (assuming one is not using
F95 module-like interfaces, which we do not use.) Has anyone found something
different? If so, we can probably write code to assume MKL 10 or 11, and have
the user enter a flag for versions 8,9; this would solve problem 1 (above) of
having to automagically determine the version.

3. Has anyone used the wrappers to make fftw2 or fftw3 actually call the MKL
fft routines? In principle, this might be a good idea, (especially for the
mdgx and rism programs), but I don't know if MKL actually provides speedups or
not.

...thx...dac