RE: [AMBER-Developers] Question about cleaning

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:45:54 +0100

Hi Ben,

> I've noticed that parts of the AMBER compilation and testing create a
> lot of files which are not taken care of by "make clean". I'm
> especially
> talking about the output files from many of the tests, and directories
> such as bin/, include/ and lib/ together with all their contents.
>
> Is this a deliberate choice, or is it left over from somewhere, and
> would people be happy if I began work to fix it (e.g., creation of
> cleaning scripts)? It seems to me that, ideally, a "make clean" should
> restore the cleaned directory to its original state, with the exception
> of configuration files such as config.h and config_amber.h. But I
> wouldn't be surprised to discover that there's a reason why things have
> been done the way they have in AMBER. Thoughts?

I second this - I would love it if the clean scripts returned things to the
state that if you do a cvs update you do not get any question marks. Perhaps
the one exception to this would be to leave the executables in the bin
directory. Certainly the lib dir should get cleaned though.

Note this should be done in a way that people can clean things individual
sections. E.g. cd src/sander; make clean. cd test; make clean etc. I also
think it would be useful if there was a global make clean - in $AMBERHOME.
Or alternatively one in src and test that you do not need to run twice, once
for AMBERTOOLS and once for AMBER. This is becoming more important since a
lot of the source code is now actually shared between AMBER and AMBERTOOLS
so it is not always clear where object files for one end and the other
start.

Note a lot of the issues with the make clean, especially in the test
directory come from the fact that there is no longer and standard naming
conventions for test cases. I think *.dif is still used everywhere but then
we have people creating mdin files from the run scripts with random names,
we have mdout.foo and foo.out, restart.bar and bar.rst etc etc. I think it
makes more sense to take a big cup of coffee and have a pass through the
entire test structure to standardize things before modifying the make file
to include as many options as you can think of.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/