Re: [AMBER-Developers] Usage of long symbol names

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:26:58 +0100

Okay, I am sort of amazed that a language standard or compiler would place a
hard limit on something like this, as there is no need in the compiler code
itself - I have implemented symbol tables without length limitations
multiple times. Now, what I observe happening, that sort of drives me crazy
with the ifort compiler, is they will look at the global name length (ie., a
combo of module name + subroutine name + variable name + various junk they
throw in for you between the fields), and decide that the given name is too
long, and front-truncate with a warning. Okay, this has in general been
annoying but harmless. Now, I don't know if this stuff is subject to some
sort of standard, but having the amalgam that results in the "global name"
subject to this garbage (some arbitrary length restriction) is bad (and
really not all that necessary). Now, when you all say "hard limit", but the
compiler front-truncates, that in general is not all that ruinous, on the
assumption that the back end of the var name is typically disambiguating
within scope (and you will die if two things truncate to the same name -
pretty sure). So I still don't get really excited about having namelength
policing - I would hate like heck to have to get all my global names within
64 chars, or whatever they seem to be allowing. I think you guys are just
trying to draw me back into the fold for supporting a c++ product ;-)
(really, I would probably like it better in various ways, but still feel
that fortran matches math + more casual coder better).
- Bob