Re: [AMBER-Developers] Usage of long symbol names

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:05:01 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Joe Krahn wrote:

> Robert Duke wrote:
>> I am of the opinion that fighting over maximum name lengths is a waste of
>> time, and completely contrary to the flow in evolving good software
>> engineering practice. I suppose that if I were to see a fortran compiler
>> that patently fails on some >n name length, I would feel otherwise.

> That is partly why I posted the question: Are there any current compilers
> that hard limit of 31? Intel Fortran has a hard-limit of 63 characters, which
> is the F2003 standard, and probably good to enforce.

Staying on message<.:-| the question to ask is
Are there any compilers that a fair number of users have
that have a hard limit of 31?

I do not know, but 31 seems like a decent practical limit to me
(and Im the King of long descriptive names).
See p 262 of mcconnell2004; 8 to 20 characters is a good ballpark
with exceptions.

Here's what my first stab uncovered:

pgf90 6.0-8 32-bit target on x86 Linux
pgf90 -c -fast -O3 -Mfree -o charmm.o _charmm.f
PGF90-W-0016-Identifier, charmm_atom_type_numerical_label, truncated to 31 chars (_charmm.f: 214)
   0 inform, 1 warnings, 0 severes, 0 fatal for charmm

pgf90 7.0-4 64-bit target on x86-64 Linux
pgf90 -c -fast -O3 -Mfree -o charmm.o _charmm.f
PGF90-W-0093-Type conversion of expression performed (_charmm.f: 1302)
PGF90-W-0093-Type conversion of expression performed (_charmm.f: 1304)
   0 inform, 2 warnings, 0 severes, 0 fatal for charmm_calc_cmap_from_phi_psi

Scott

.book{mcconnell2004,
   author = "{Steve McConnell}",
   title = "Code Complete",
   edition = "Second",
   publisher = "Microsoft Press",
   address = "Redmond, WA",
   year = 2004 }

You guessed it; this is another classic and probably the only
encyclopedic guide to software development.