Re: [AMBER-Developers] Goals for AMBER code format/style?

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:59:00 +0000

Okay, the thing about common blocks - while they are in some senses really
ugly in terms of allowing uncontrolled data sharing and other sins, what
they DO accomplish for us is to allow us to create a block of contiguous
variables that can be broadcast to slaves via mpi. I know of no cleaner way
to do this myself; if you put stuff is a sequenced record, then you can
screw up namelist-based access to a bunch of variables. I think that while
something cleaner would be nice, if we are consistent about how we use these
things, then it is not necessarily the end of the world. On other fronts,
locmem to be specific, I would drop it like a hot rock. It is basically a
software engineering nightmare, especially from the bug-o-rama perspective
(I will presume everyone has a clue why I would say this without me
elaborating further), and you can get much better engineering/reliability
from the use of allocated storage. Just my willing-to-be-a-crank 2 cents...
- Bob