[AMBER-Developers] Goals for AMBER code format/style?

From: Joe Krahn <krahn.niehs.nih.gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:33:41 +0000

It would be nice to have more stuff on the Wiki about code strictness
and plans for the current code. Here are some of my suggestions.

What do people think about replacing the _REAL_ cpp macro with a real
KIND parameter? It allows you to write typed literals without needing to
define a parameter. In my code, I use the parameters REAL_KIND for
readability, and RK_ as a suffix for literals like: 1.0_rk_

Is AMBER still working towards implicit-none in all source files? It
would be nice to disable the default implicit-none with compiler flags.

Is there any reason not to convert all of the common-block .h files into
module files? It would be trivial to do a quick conversion by wrapping
the existing header code, leaving the common blocks as they are, and
working on removing them later.

At least for Gnu make, it is useful to use $(MAKE) instead of 'make',
partly because it allows a parallel-make, giving much faster build times
on multi-processor machines. For example, replace:
    cd dir; make xyz
with:
    $(MAKE) -C dir xyz
However, I don't know if $(MAKE) and the '-C' flag are standard for BSD
make as well.

Joe