Re: [AMBER-Developers] Goals for AMBER code format/style?

From: Mark Williamson <mjw.sdsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:23:42 +0000

David A. Case wrote:

>> At least for Gnu make, it is useful to use $(MAKE) instead of 'make',
>> partly because it allows a parallel-make, giving much faster build times
>> on multi-processor machines. For example, replace:
>> cd dir; make xyz
>> with:
>> $(MAKE) -C dir xyz
>> However, I don't know if $(MAKE) and the '-C' flag are standard for BSD
>> make as well.
>
> I thought Ross had already done this(?)
>
> ...dac

[mjw:src]$ pwd
/server-home/mjw/code/AMBER/amber11/src
[mjw:src]$ cvs log Makefile
...snip...
----------------------------
revision 9.34
date: 2008/09/02 19:42:35; author: rcw; state: Exp; lines: +29 -29
RCW+MJW:

Modify Makefile's to use $(MAKE) instead of just make so that one can
use the make job scheduler to compile in parallel. E.g.

make -j2 serial

This works fine for AMBER10 - currently there are issues with
Amber_tools due to dependencies not being specified properly. I.e.
  nab tries to run code as part of the build process which fails if that
code has yet to be compiled.

Example timings for amber10 serial build:

1 cpu Pentium-D 3.2GHz = 6m04s
2 cpu Pentium-D 3.2GHz = 3m25s