Re: [AMBER-Developers] Fortran2003?

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:16:57 -0500

Two issues have to be addressed. Do you really inconvenience the user by
requiring F2003 - buying new compilers for the fun of it is not something
people like to do - the fast ones are expensive (I am still using ifort 8 on
some machines, and would have to check to see what it supports). Secondly,
what features are that compelling? I do just fine calling c routines
currently by being conservative, and the cost of that is nil. It does not
hurt current development one whit, at least for me. When F2003 is
more-or-less universally available, it makes sense to exploit. Before then,
you create grief for your users if you have a source product (and in this
community, our users are nothing if not cheap - for good reason). Just my
(conservative about inconveniencing users for my own benefit) opinion.
- Bob