amber-developers: Fw: How many atoms?

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:14:29 -0500

Hello folks!
I am working hard on high-scaling pmemd code, and in the course of the work
it became clear to me, due to large async i/o buffer and other issues, that
going to very high atom counts may require a bunch of extra work, especially
on certain platforms (BG/L in particular...). I posed the question below to
Dave Case; he suggested I bounce it off the list, so here it is. The crux
of the matter is how people feel about having an MD capability in pmemd for
systems bigger than 999,999 atoms in the next release. Please respond to
the dev list if you have strong feelings in either direction.
Thanks much! - Bob