RE: amber-developers: Fw: How many atoms?

From: Yong Duan <duan.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 21:30:58 -0800

Mike,

That's not really true. Simulations with 0.5M is about as routine today as
20,000 atoms a few years ago. We are talking about protein complexes in
water. So, other people's code/parameter can't work. Naturally, you ask why
people waste time on doing atomic level simulations on such big systems. The
problem is that certain type of questions can be answered only with the
MD-type simulations.

I am not advocating or even suggesting that Bob or you guys work on this for
this release. But this will become an issue very soon, much sooner than
perhaps what we like. This is not visionary or anything like that. It is
reality already, unfortunately.

Indeed, most people run simulations with far smaller systems. I enjoy
simulations with 500 atoms :) and most of my simulations are small (<20K).
Again, there are important biomolecular/biophysical problems that can be
studied only by large-scale simulations.

yong