Re: amber-developers: About amber8 help for mozilla-based browser.

From: Xuebin Qiao <xbqiao.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 03:55:25 +0800

Dear Ross:

You are right, there are two possible directions under consideration. One
way is, just as you said, to be fully compatible with normal web pages. The
other way is to be a context help framework for my amber-oriented project
like chm help in win32 application or interactive help in InsightII or
Sybyl. To keep these flexiblities, I chose to use XHTML. However, the down
side is that some browsers (especially for IE) may unhappy to see it. If
converted to HTML, it needs one or two weeks to resolve all major
incompatible issues, particularly MathML tag.

As for the works, I did port it line by line from pdf file. Since at the
begining I did not have the troff src. It took too much times. :-( When I
got the source file, I've test some existing tools along with the script in
CVS and found they were either useless or too difficult to convert the
results to XHTML. If the source is written in LaTeX, things would be easier
to handle. Whatsoever, it is wise to unify the page style for all sections
in the future and ease the burden for automatic parser.

Best regards

qxb