Re: amber-developers: No DV/DL values at clambda=1 for vdW pert

From: B. Lachele Foley <lfoley.uga.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:47:42 -0700

This is my understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It isn't analytically zero at lambda=0 for icfe=1 (icfe=2
wasn't available in Amber 8).

The mixing function goes to zero at lambda=1 for higher values
of klambda, but the potential being mixed isn't nicely behaved
-- it diverges at lambda=1. What matters is the combination
of the two functions.

If you look at David Case's example
(http://amber.scripps.edu/tutorial/shirts/index.html), a
favorable combination of cut values and klambda can, indeed,
converge to zero at lambda=1, but they don't necessarily.

I don't think I -need- the DV/DL to go to zero at lambda=1.
Merely being finite is probably ok (if someone who's done more
math on this disagrees, I'd gladly hear their arguments). I
think I just need the value to be finite and to know what the
value is.

:-) lachele

>I am not sure how this works with icfe=1, but when I set
icfe=2, for
>lambda=0 and lambda=1, the dv/dl values are not printed out.
They are
>analytically zero. When I run with lambda=0.05 or
lambda=0.95, I am
>getting dv/dl values, but they are close to zero. I am doing
a dummy to
>hydrogen and hydrogen to dummy transformations in the TI
calculation. So,
>I am guessing that the same thing happens with icfe=1 when
lambda=1,