Re: amber-developers: No DV/DL values at clambda=1 for vdW pert

From: Ilyas Yildirim <yildirim.pas.rochester.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:16:21 -0700

According to AMBER manual, the potential energy function is given as
(for the TI approach and icfe = 1)

        V(lambda) = (1 -lambda)^k * V_0 + [1 - (1 - lambda)^k] * V_1
and
        dV/d(lambda) = k * (1- lambda)^(k-1) * (V_1 - V_0)

where V_0 and V_1 are the initial and final states, respectively, and
dV/d(lambda) is the derivative of the potential energy with respect to
lambda.

For k > 1 & icfe = 1 & lambda = 1;

        V(1,k>1) = V_1
        dV/d(lambda) = 0

This system is exactly the same system when u dont do any TI calculation
and just prepare the system according the final state and do the MD
simulation.

[if k = 1 and lambda = 1; then dV/d(lambda) = (V_1 - V_0)].

In runmd.f (AMBER 8), the algorithm to calculate the dv/dl is given as

      if( onstep ) then
         if( klambda == 1 ) then
            do i=1,nren
               edvdl(i) = edvdl(i) + ener(i) - ecopy(i)
               edvdl_r(i) = edvdl_r(i) + ener(i) - ecopy(i)
            end do
         else
            clfac = klambda*(1.d0 - clambda)**(klambda-1)
            do i=1,nren
               edvdl(i) = edvdl(i) + (ener(i) - ecopy(i))*clfac
               edvdl_r(i) = edvdl_r(i) + (ener(i) - ecopy(i))*clfac
            end do
         end if
      end if

So, when k > 1 and lambda = 1, then it is analytically zero. The algoritm
above will calculate it zero, too.

The question is, whether it converges or not (for a system) when lambda ->
1. In DAC's tutorial, when k = 4 and cut = 9, it does not converges to
zero that good. But this does not mean that when lambda = 1, u will have
a value different than zero for dv/dl. It will always be zero.

I and Harry Stern derived a new mixing function, which will make the
mixing potential, V(lambda), zero at lambda = 0 and lambda = 1. This lets
us to use dummy atoms on both states, initial and final states. I have
been doing some simulations on a 4X4 base paired system, and I am using k
= 6 and icfe = 2. The transformation is very smooth; it slowly increases
to a dv/dl value, and then decreases, and smoothly becomes zero when k =
1.

It is part of AMBER 9 but I can send u the modifed files for AMBER 8, and
u can test it if u are interested.

Best,

PS: It might be a good idea to print out the dvdl values even if lambda =
0 or 1.