Misc Fortran info. was Re: amber-developers: index command in sander?

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:49:48 -0700

Hi,

Here are some misc. Fortran resources:

http://www.lahey.com/lookat90.htm
A good terse one page overview of Fortran 90.

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~cgp/f90course/f90.html
An introduction to Fortran 90 for F77 programmers.

http://www.pcc.qub.ac.uk/tec/courses/f90/stu-notes/F90_notesMIF_1.html
An even longer introduction to Fortran 90.
Appendix A has a list of intrinsics.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/support/cc/fortran/f90home.html
The granddaddy of Fortran web stuff.

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, David Case wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005, Carlos Simmerling wrote:
>
> > does anyone know more details about the index() function used in
sander?

> It is definitely an F95 intrinsic function, but I don't know if it is
> required in plain old F90. You should try to get a copy of Metcalf &
Reid,
> "Fortran 90/95 Explained" (now called "Fortran 90/95/2003 Explained").
It
> is by far the best place I have found to find things like this.
> Unfortunately, I'm on the road right now and don't have access to my
copy.

Better late than never .?:
INDEX( STRING, SUBSTRING [, BACK] ) - returns the leftmost
(rightmost if BACK is .TRUE.) starting position of SUBSTRING within
STRING.
from
http://www.pcc.qub.ac.uk/tec/courses/f90/stu-notes/F90_notesMIF_13.html

> (Plus, I've forgotten Scott's secret web site that explains all
this....)

Bummer, I may have forgotten it too.

> > Also a concern is that the "index" variable name is used in other
places

> This is a no-no....some compilers will flag it, but we should not have
> variables or our own routines called "index".

The first Amber and Columbus developer dual post :)

Scott