Re: [Columbus-developers] Misc Fortran info. was Re: amber-developers: index command in sander? (fwd)

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:00:05 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:57:06 -0500
From: Ron Shepard <shepard.tcg.anl.gov>
To: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Cc: columbus-developers.osc.edu
Subject: Re: [Columbus-developers] Misc Fortran info. was Re:

On Sep 6, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Scott Brozell wrote:

>>> does anyone know more details about the index() function used in
>>> sander?
>>
>> It is definitely an F95 intrinsic function, but I don't know if it is
>> required in plain old F90.

In case anyone is interested, index() was an f77 intrinsic function.
It is used throughout the COLUMBUS codes for simple string matching.
The function was generalized in f90 to allow searching backwards and to
accommodate the situation in which the substring has zero length
(zero-length strings were not allowed in f77, but have been allowed
since f90). I think the function is unchanged in f03.

-Ron