Re: amber-developers: Added frcmod.ff03

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:27:49 -0700

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003, Piotr Cieplak wrote:

> As I understand ff03 - is the former file used by me not only for
proteins
> bur for nucleic acids
> simulations with pol + LP for nucleic acids as well.

Piotr: I think the above is wrong, but it illustrates common nomenclature
problems.

"ff03" is yong's new, non-polarizable, non-EP, protein force field.

"ff02" is the name for the polarizable potentials you and Jim (and others)
put together. "ff02EP" is the version with extra points.

At the July meeting, we discussed ways in which the names would be more
informative. For example, "ff02EP" would become something like
"protnapolep.ff02" (for protein + nucleic acid + polarization + EP). But
there comes a point at which such names become too unwieldy, and where
shorter
is better (with a good table in the documentation that provides this
info.)

..hope this helps....dac

David A. Case                     |  e-mail:      case.scripps.edu