[AMBER-Developers] Code deadline for AmberTools23 is March 10

From: David A Case via AMBER-Developers <amber-developers.ambermd.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 09:00:56 -0500

Hi everyone:

The deadline for submitted code to be included in AmberTools23 (release in
April) is *March 10*.

Please, please, don't just wait until the day before. We will also
need updates to the Reference Manual to describe changes in functionality,
and test cases to illustrate how to use it, and to ensure that future code
updates don't have side effects on this new stuff.

Plus, having time for Amber developers to try out new ideas is
important. We want to minimize the extent to which users become de facto
beta testers. And, as a practical matter, we have to be sure that the code
compiles and passes tests on about two dozen different compilers and OS
versions, and that a conda package can be built.

Bottom line is that the sooner that even non-final versions can be pushed
to the master development branch, the better.

[Minor aside: please don't add anything to the Reference Manual that
describes new behavior in pmemd. The next pmemd (Amber) release won't be
until 2024. Hold off updates to the pmemd part of the Manual until after
the AmberTools23 release.]

Let me know if you have questions or suggestions.

...thanks...dac