Re: [AMBER-Developers] libz now seems required by Amber

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:02:16 -0500

Just to be clear, I'm fine with zlib being required now; the only
reason I initially brought this up was that as far as I could remember
zlib had always been "suggested" (like the X11 libraries) and not
"required".

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 9:07 PM David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> >I saw it on some pages, but missing on others (e.g.
> >https://ambermd.org/InstUbuntu.php)
>
> It looks like it is there to me: libbz2-dev. But please fix it if this
> needs modifcations.

libbz2-dev is for bzip; for gzip (zlib) you need libz-dev (actually I
think the exact package name is zlib1g-dev and libz-dev is a virtual
wrapper). I'll try to update the pages sometime this week.

I also think it could be useful to add to
https://ambermd.org/Installation.php a list of the generic names of
the packages required (Bison, Flex, the Zlib development libraries,
etc).

> > -- Could NOT find ZLIB (missing: ZLIB_LIBRARY ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR)
> > -- Could NOT find BZip2 (missing: BZIP2_LIBRARIES BZIP2_INCLUDE_DIR)
>
> Did they come too late to be helpful? Or was this not a fatal error?

Sorry, I wasn't clear here. The error does come during cmake (before
'make'), but the above messages are easily missed, and came way before
the actual error message of:
```
CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but
they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the
CMake files:
ZLIB_LIBRARY
```
I think it would be nice if we could add to the above error message
something like "on RedHat distros install zlib-devel, on Ubuntu
libz-dev", etc. However it's not essential. Users will probably figure
out what's required here, and if they post that error message to the
mailing list someone could easily help them out.

-Dan