Re: [AMBER-Developers] CMake in Amber

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 12:50:12 -0400

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021, Adrian Roitberg wrote:

>What would be really good to have is something like the old configure -h
>or --help, but for Cmake, so one can have a simple list of options for
>building some things but not others, etc.

We are using the wiki rather than a --help option for this purpose. Two
pages are good starting points:

    https://ambermd.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CMake-Quick-Start

is a good overview. It has an FAQ with answers to questions such as
"How can I build only one specific program?" or "I want to see what commands
make is actually executing!"

Also very helpful is this one:

    https://ambermd.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CMake-Common-Options

This shows you how to ask for the most common changes, such as how to skip
certain builds, change what libraries are used, change compiler flags, etc.

If you look at the table of contents at the left of any of these pages, you
will see several other CMake related pages.

For everyone: please note that these are wiki pages! If there is something
that is unclear, or is missing, please edit things to make them better.

...hope this helps....dac

p.s. the links above are printed out at the very beginning of every CMake
run. See also Section 2.2 of the Amber Reference Manual.

p.p.s. Note that the current output of configure --help is 54 lines long,
and that of configure --full-help (which is needed to get help for any but
the most elementary subjects) is 154 lines. Also note that things like
compiler info in the help output are 4-5 years out of date, and other pieces
of information in the current help output are also wrong or misleading. So,
in my view, using a wiki is a better way to make things easy to read, and
to keep them up to date.

Finally, the current configure help doesn't even try to answer Adrian's
question about "building some things but not others". The answer for the
legacy configure system is this "find the relevant Makefile, and edit it."
For CMake, you add an option to your run_cmake script.