Re: [AMBER-Developers] CMake in Amber

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 15:03:21 -0400

"Meanwhile, AMBER16 refactored to SM 7 and beyond is already hitting 730
ns/day on JAC NVE 2 fs. AMBER20 with the grid interpolation and local force
precision sub FP32 force hacks removed hits 572 ns/day (down from 632 if
left in as we shipped it). That puts me nearly 1/3 to my goal of doubling
overall AMBER performance which is what is important to me and where I'm
going to focus my efforts..."

Please explain here.
1.) Why are we back to using the old JAC NVE 2fs benchmark? The new
benchmarks were redesigned several years ago to make more uniform tests and
take settings that standard practitioners are now using.
2.) Why is Amber16 being refactored rather than Amber20?
3.) What does it mean to be hitting 730 ns/day? What card is being
compared here--the Amber20 benchmarks look like they could be a V100,
Titan-V, or perhaps an RTX-2080Ti.