Re: [AMBER-Developers] [AMBER] Parmed: Residues cannot be part of 2 molecules! Molecule section will not be correctly set.

From: B. Lachele Foley <lfoley.ccrc.uga.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 06:34:39 +0000

I don't know how much the molecules are used in the MD calculations. But, they are used in the top files to differentiate solute from solvent. (info below for convenience) Lots of programs read prmtop files.

Do the IS method use Cartesian/bonded nearest neighbors to determine the effective radii or do they use molecules? I've always wondered that for other reasons.

Are molecules used in the coordinate wrapping for periodic conditions? I know the effect is to keep molecules together, but maybe the calculation follows bonds.

Even if no calculations/procedures use the info, I worry how many programs rely, in one way or another, on the information being in that format, at least while reading in the prmtop. I don't recall specifics, but I know I tried merely reordering the prmtop sections once and broke a program or two. That is - it might end up being quite a lot of work to implement the change throughout AMBER. But, I could be wrong. 🙂

Relevant prmtop section:

%FLAG SOLVENT_POINTERS
%FORMAT(3I8) IPTRES, NSPM, NSPSOL
  IPTRES : final residue that is considered part of the solute,
           reset in sander and gibbs
  NSPM : total number of molecules
  NSPSOL : the first solvent "molecule"

Possibly, "molecule" could simply be turned into "residue". But, like I said, that could break other programs.

:-) Lachele

Dr. B. Lachele Foley (she/her/hers)
Associate Research Scientist
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center