Re: [AMBER-Developers] Reporting Amber bugs and issues

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 21:24:45 -0400

![caring](https://media.giphy.com/media/l378m8mNCUdjA3Euk/giphy.gif)

There is a bugzilla site at bugzilla.ambermd.org, but it's been only
> occasionally used. Jason and I think that it would more visible and
> easier to use "Issues" at gitlab.ambermd.org, and we have copied over
> to gitlab entries from bugzilla that we deemed potentially fixable and
> not completely stale, including two recent entries from Tim Giese.
>
> So: as an experiment, I'd like people to use gitlab for a while to
> report problems. There's no easy way there to assign an "importance",
> but you can use labels. I select the sort option on the Issues page to
> "Last updated" so I can quickly see if there have been any recent posts.
> I find the chat/forum capabilities of gitlab attractive, and having bugs
> there means there is only one site it need to visit (i.e. gitlab) for
> most Amber-related tasks.

It also emails people that get mentioned or are watching the project.

Neither gitlab nor bugzilla are optimal solutions, but anyone arguing
> hard for a better options needs to be willing to take over
> responsibility for it.

I second Dan's support for GitLab. I'll also add that I need two passwords
to access Bugzilla, and the accounts are separate from Git access. Having
all infrastructure accessed through the same identity provider (GitLab) --
namely the issue tracker, Jenkins, and git repo itself -- is incredibly
convenient. The main knocks on GitLab is that issues lack an assignable
workflow and a prioritization mechanism that affects how it's ordered in
the issue viewer.

I think the "better" options are mostly commercial (read, expensive). At
Lutron we use JIRA, which is pretty useful (and has bindings with GitLab),
but it's fairly expensive unless you self-host with a small number of
users. I'm skeptical we'd really make any meaningful use of the workflow
features that makes JIRA so powerful, anyway.

Thanks,
Jason

Also, if this was GitLab, the gif I linked would've been embedded in-line.
Bugzilla can't do that. Just sayin'.