Re: [AMBER-Developers] AmberTools19: release candidate 1

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 09:49:08 -0400

> On Apr 5, 2019, at 3:24 AM, David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OK, I can add the first ticket item, here.
>
> As it is in master, and now in my two mdgxCuda and mdgxMods branches that
> have recently merged in code from master, if one attempts to configure
> -noopt and -debug options, this somehow short-circuits the -fPIC flag

What do you mean by “short-circuits”? Is the -fPIC flag not provided on the link line? It’s there, but the debug flags override it and the resulting objects are not position-independent?

I don’t see why PIC and debug symbols should be mutually exclusive (in that one would cause the other to be ignored), but I don’t understand that stuff well enough to say for certain.

As long as configure2 doesn’t remove the -fPIC flag somewhere when optimizations are turned off, I don’t know why it wouldn’t work. I’ve actually done that myself in the recent-ish past and it’s worked fine.

All the best,