Re: [AMBER-Developers] AmberTools19: release candidate 1

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 03:24:41 -0400

OK, I can add the first ticket item, here.

As it is in master, and now in my two mdgxCuda and mdgxMods branches that
have recently merged in code from master, if one attempts to configure
-noopt and -debug options, this somehow short-circuits the -fPIC flag and
the result is that FFTW, or the final linking step that binds everything
together, is compiled without -fPIC. The symptom is that cpptraj fails to
compile, with the error message:

/usr/bin/ld: /home/cerutti/AT19/amber18/lib64/libfftw3.a(apiplan.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a
shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/home/cerutti/AT19/amber18/lib64/libfftw3.a: error adding symbols: Bad value

If I try to push through this and go straight to AmberTools/src/mdgx to
compile, I get the same error. Configuring without these debugging flags
produces a clean build.

Scott Brozell was very helpful today in tracking down the fault in one of
my branches, but there it was because of something particular that I was
doing, which I have since fixed. The underlying problem seems to be more
pervasive, however, so we're hopefully close to a general fix.

Dave