Re: [AMBER-Developers] NMR restraints and re-imaging

From: Josh Berryman <the.real.josh.berryman.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 08:02:36 +0100

What Dave (Cerruti) describes is pretty much the approach taken in
EspressoMD, a code often used for polymers and therefore one where long
molecules are a requirement.

It is a nice structure because it then facilitates things like using
Lees-Edwards boundary conditions to impose shear flow, these days it seems
like bio and soft-matter codes might be converging in the system sizes that
they treat, with the soft matter codes going for more accuracy and the bio
codes going for bigger and longer.

If it ends up being faster then yay, great. Maybe someone could build a
special purpose CPU with one instruction for imaging pbcs....

The detailed approach in Espresso is to build a neighbour list which can
contain either "atoms" (distances which didn't need to be imaged) or "ghost
atoms" (distances which were imaged *or* which came in from a different MPI
process). The ghosts and the non-ghosts are all guaranteed to be in-cutoff
for the given atom but the re-imaging of reaction forces needs to be
handled differently for the two: comms may be involved in the second case.
For a large system there are much more atoms being ghosted due to comms
than due to simple PBC so it makes sense to lump them together and focus on
optimising the imaging for effective comms.

Josh