Re: [AMBER-Developers] Changes to the CMake build system

From: Jamie Smith <jsmith.crackofdawn.onmicrosoft.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:05:06 +0000

Thank you, and I agree with you about including the Makefile build system. I think that it's always better to have a fallback plan than to not have one. Plus, to be honest it's a lot of pressure on me to have it perfectly working and perfectly complete by release time.

Plus, aren't there a lot of users who only have a license for on old version of pmemd, and who just drop their old-version src folder into the latest AmberTools source folder? Old versions of pmemd don't have CMake build files, so this won't work. I could make backports of the current CMake build files for those versions, but it seems like it would be confusing and arduous for users to have to install them.

So yeah, I think we should keep the old configure script around, even if CMake becomes the new default.

Jamie