Re: [AMBER-Developers] A hello and some submodules!

From: David Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 21:59:39 -0400

Resending this, since people may have missed it, or may not have thought
it was important. If you using the master branch at git.ambermd.org,
you need to follow the procedure below (once) when you update your
branch to be in sync with the remote repository.

On Wed, May 10, 2017, Jason Swails wrote:

> In an effort to smooth out challenges with moving some package development
> to GitHub, I've been talking with Dave, Hai, and Dan about moving these
> packages whose main development is happening on GitHub into submodules
> within Amber.
>
> This should significantly ease potential complications of having
> subprojects broken out into standalone repositories as well as make it
> easier to keep up-to-date with the latest developments coming from these
> projects.
>
> To pull the latest master branch, do this:
>
> cd $AMBERHOME
> git clean -fxd
> git pull
> git submodule update --init --recursive
>
> You can find out more about how to work with submodules (mainly if you want
> to contribute to any of the projects contained within submodules) by
> visiting the documentation and videos I posted to the wiki:
> http://ambermd.org/pmwiki/index.php/Main/Submodules
>
> All the best,
> Jason

After this first time, if you want the up-to-date master branch *plus*
the latest in the submodules, do this:

git pull
git submodule update --remote --merge

See the wiki page above for more info.