Re: [AMBER-Developers] Should we add more troubleshooting to the Makefile?

From: Ken Merz <merzjrke.msu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 16:02:27 -0500

Hi,

 I am going to add my 2 cents worth on this topic. Having gotten a new laptop and having had to rebuild AMBER from scratch recently (thank you Jason! - http://jswails.wikidot.com) I found the verbose output of compilation information difficult to wade through. I was able to debug everything and get my version working on my laptop, but felt that a less verbose compilation would of been fine. That said I am not a coding horse by any stretch of the imagination, but I could see how less experienced folks could be put off with the steady stream of information. In the end I am guessing that most compilations simply go swimmingly (as mine did in the end) and that all of this output is redundant. If someone runs into issues we can tell them to turn on verbose mode to answer the “Please send verbose and verbatim details”. I have no particular axe to grind - besides aesthetics perhaps - but having a clearer “looking” compile for the average Joe user coupled with a verbose version for power users doesn’t seem to me to be such a travesty.

See you all next week!

Kennie