Re: [AMBER-Developers] Should we add more troubleshooting to the Makefile?

From: Gerald Monard <Gerald.Monard.univ-lorraine.fr>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 19:53:44 +0100

Hello,

Not sure it's the answer you want but in the sebomd directory, make will
output short lines like
       [SEBOMD] [F90] [OPT] se_corrections_params.F90
       [SEBOMD] [F90] [OPT] se_inter.F90
       [SEBOMD] [F90] [OPT] se_corrections_tools.F90
       [SEBOMD] [F90] [OPT] se_corrections_module.F90
Each line corresponds to a compilation, but you don't see all the long
usual compilation lines. This way, it is much easier to see warnings and
errors.

Gerald.

On 02/07/2017 06:28 PM, David Cerutti wrote:
> Is there anything we could do that would allow only warnings and errors to
> display during compilation? It's often the case that all of the successful
> commands flying by to build various libraries, even when recompiling one
> program, I miss warnings that could have helped me write better code or
> find a problem earlier. Is make -s the answer here?
>
> On Feb 7, 2017 11:48 AM, "Daniel Roe" <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 10:26 PM, David Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> 2. Given that Windows10 has a new and functional Linux subsystem, do
>>> we need to continue to support the -cygwin, -wine and -windows
>> options?
>>
>> I think I may have been the only person testing on cygwin, and I no
>> longer have time to do this thoroughly. Unless someone else is testing
>> we should probably remove that option. Ditto for the others if no one
>> is testing them.
>>
>>> 3. Does anyone use -static?
>>
>> Not certain but it's a fairly standard option for builds to have.
>> However, I'm not sure that it has been tested - Amber does now have a
>> few libraries that go into $AMBERHOME/lib...
>>
>>> 4. Does anyone use -nosse?
>>
>> Yes, this has been discussed before on the dev list. It's useful for
>> environments with heterogeneous processors where some support sse
>> instructions and some don't.
>>
>>> 8. Is anyone using the -netcdfstatic option?
>>
>> Yes. I usually use this at HPC sites where I want to link to their
>> NetCDF library but don't want users to have to worry about loading a
>> NetCDF module.
>>
>> -Dan
>>
>> --
>> -------------------------