[AMBER-Developers] no AMBERHOME

From: Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 16:48:12 -0500

thanks Scott. I will keep two points in mind.

Just have a question regarding #2:
What's your recommendation here?

If user set the wrong AMBERHOME, raise error saying
either unset AMBERHOME or correct it?

My point of gradually eliminating AMBERHOME is to force the installation to
use variables in config.h. For example. I added AMBER_SOURCE and
AMBER_PREFIX to point to source code and install dir respectively. Those
envs are set by configure script, not
by users and they are only needed at compile time (and testing time).

Ideally, user just need

cd amber17
./configure gnu
source amber.sh
make install

In my opinion, AMBERHOME is only helpful (now) for backward compatibility
(e.g: for the tutorials in amber website).

Hai