Re: [AMBER-Developers] Tutorials, II

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 10:47:53 -0400

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 7:27 PM, David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com> wrote:

> How does it look now?
>
> http://casegroup.rutgers.edu/~cerutti/amber_web/tutorials/
>
> I have the masthead.jpg image rendered with layers in .xcf format (Gnu
> Image Manipulation Program), anticipating that we can make that our banner
> with a bit of text-as-image. (I'd suggest "AMBER Molecular Simulations,"
> but I'm sure we'll have some exchanges about the exact words.)
>
> I've tried to nail things down pretty well but I haven't yet tested across
> many browsers.

Some added comments: keep the whole original titles of the tutorials. In
many cases, there is a reason tutorial authors chose what they chose. I'll
harp again on the constant pH tutorial, since that's one Dwight and I wrote
and I can only spare quick glances.

The interesting part of that tutorial is learning how to run a constant pH
calculation. If someone comes to the tutorial page wanting to run constant
pH, they can search for "cphmd" or "constant pH" or "pH" on the main TOC
page and not find anything. The tutorial is not there to show people the
best way to calculate a pKa -- it's there to show them how to run a CpHMD
simulation.

Having that tutorial titled "Calculating pKas for titratable side chains in
hen egg white lysozyme" masks the true purpose of that tutorial. I haven't
checked all the other tutorials to see if similar statements apply to those.

Other, more minor comments on aesthetics:

1. Numbers are better than bullets -- it's easier to reference when asking
questions or pointing resources out to someone (look at item 3 on page
www.referencetosomething.org)
2. The titles of the tutorial categories are the same font and size as the
tutorials themselves, making them hard to distinguish.

My suggestion: have the titles be centered over the groups with a larger
font and enumerate the individual tutorials below them.

Thanks,