Re: [AMBER-Developers] Tutorials, II

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 09:44:28 -0400

On Mon, Oct 03, 2016, Dave Cerutti wrote:

> How does it look now?
> http://casegroup.rutgers.edu/~cerutti/amber_web/tutorials/

I'm not sure how to respond, since I don't know if you think this is just
a preliminary mockup, or something closer to what you would like to have
as a final product. I don't want to come across as nit-picking (in the
former case), but I also don't think it is really "there" yet.

It's a nice clean design. I don't think you have to worry (much) about
web-safe colors in 2016. The worst that can happen is that the background
color on the left panel will be slightly different on some very old computers.
I'd recommend a color that blends better with the top (banner) graphic.

A few pretty general points:

1. Pages generally should be centered, so that they still look pleasing
if the user's browser window is wider than the page. In my browser, about
two thirds of the page (on the right) is completely blank, with all the
content on the left-hand side. To me, the current Amber pages are more
visually pleasing, since the "empty" space is divided equally on the left
and right.

2. I'm not fond of pure white backgrounds, as I guess you already know.
How about at least a neutral gray background (say 220,220,220) to take the
"edge" off white--that might go well with the other colors on the page.

3. How about something like a box around each of the nine major lists?
Something like the ".boxed" attribute in amber.css? Or a color or font
distinction between the titles of the various subsections and the links to the
individual tutorials? (Maybe this is a descent into nit-picking....)

...dac