Re: [AMBER-Developers] Tutorials

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 11:48:47 -0400

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016, Dave Cerutti wrote:

> http://casegroup.rutgers.edu/~cerutti/amber_web/tutorials/

Problems I see:

1. The front page is visually very uninteresting: users only see the
nicely formatted ToC if they know to go to the first level headers. But
most users will probably go directly to the individual tutorials, and
completely miss all the work done to have a nice ToC.

I'm all in favor of improvements in the existing ToC, although (for me) having
images all nearly the same size is a nice feature. But it's going to take a
lot of persuasion to convince me that we should split the ToC into nine
separate sub-ToC's. The main problem is that to browse the list to see what is
available requires users to visit 9 separate pages, and I bet that most won't
bother to do that.

2. The pages should be centered in the browser window, but some of
yours are at the left. Haven't tried to track this down. We also have a
consistent "Amber" background image, which is getting lost on some pages.

3. There is too much usage of opening pages in a new tab. Within a
tutorial, going to the next section should stay in the same tab. When I
try to go through your (very nice!) ipolq tutorial, maybe going backwards
from time to time, I readily end up with dozens of open tabs in my
browser, which seems rather awkward.

   Generally, I think you use the _top target too often. A user that
did want to look at all the 9 ToC's would end up with 9 open browser tabs.
Even when going from the top table to contents to an individual tutorial, I
think one should stay in the same tab.

...just my 2c here. I like fewer pages, with more contents per page (as, e.g.
in the very large main Amber web page.)

...dac