[AMBER-Developers] testing, code freeze, release schedules - am dev meeting topic ?

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:35:36 -0500

Hi,

In addition to a discussion and decision on language standard and old
compiler support (for Amber 17) at the Amber developers meeting,
I suggest a discussion about release schedules.

I recommend a stricter schedule and with a more whole community
focus on quality assurance - to wit a halloween code freeze for a tax
day release, a separate release candidate branch, a mandate that developers
use the release candidate branch to reproduce production work, etc.

Grabbing from the [AMBER-Developers] pmemd.MPI build broken thread:

On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 07:50:04AM +0000, Charles Lin wrote:
> ... Its been thoroughly tested with intel, gnu, and mpich though.

> > 2) Wait to release it until a wider audience of developers have actually
> > gotten a chance to use it.
> > This is a large part of why we institute a code freeze well before release.

Thoroughly tested is a high standard. It requires evidence. For a release
candidate, in the absence of counterevidence, i would find this persuasive:
source, tests, and docs in the release candidate branch for 1/2 year so that
the whole community has had access and it's been routinely built and tested.
Reproduction of published work by and vetting of new features in several
research groups.

> > Mixed OpenMP-MPI has its place for sure -- MICs and dedicated
> > supercomputers with many cores per node. But for commodity clusters and
> > single workstations, I see this as more of an obstacle than a benefit.

There will be different perspectives. Rushing the schedule tends to
crank up the issues. Let's go slower, give more people a chance to
comment, and give ourselves a better chance to meet our high standards.

scott