Re: [AMBER-Developers] reference os+compiler systems

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:53:46 -0500

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016, Brent Krueger wrote:

> I guess it is the 'which we no longer support' that I am getting at. What
> we have on my local system is, in fact, gcc4.1.2, along with Intel
> 12.0.0.

gcc 4.1.2 was released more than 9 years ago, and there is no way we can
support it for current Amber (although you can probably get certain programs
to build with it). The configure script already turns off rism and pbsa and
the sander library (maybe other things) if it detects 4.1.2.

I don't see that it is that hard to install a newer version of gcc. The
instructions at https://gcc.gnu.org/install/ are pretty complete. You
don't need root access, and you don't need to upgrade your operating
system. You are just installing a compiler, more or less like installing
any other user program. It can take a long time, but only needs to be
done once. (I admit that I've not done this for a while, so people on the
list can let me know if I'm being too optimistic here.)

....dac