Re: [AMBER-Developers] reference os+compiler systems

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:42:16 -0500

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016, Gerald Monard wrote:

> Could there be a way to have (decide on?) a list of OS + compilers for
> which Amber _should_ compile correctly and all tests pass. I wouldn't
> mind of course for a list of OS+compilers for which it would be "nice"
> that it works also well.

If you have not yet done so, please visit the Amber wiki page:

  http://ambermd.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Amber16Test

I suspect that we (and our users) get relatively little benefit from all the
work that goes into supporting the Intel and PGI compilers, especially the
former, which has a different set of bugs in every release.

It would be nice if some kind soul with some free time could run a pmemd
benchmark (say jac) comparing Intel vs gnu5 on a somewhat modern chip.
Also, is cpptraj time-constrained enough to warrant the extra optimizations
that might come from a proprietary compiler? Do we know anything about clang
vs gnu for cpptraj?

I'm willing to be persuaded: almost all my simulations are on GPUs now, where
there is little need for proprietary compilers.

...dac