Re: [AMBER-Developers] ioutfm = 0

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 14:41:19 -0800

>>> Not against, but as a regular pymol user, I won't be able to load
>>> trajectories without converting back to text format...
>>>
>>> Gerald, who really needs to learn VMD someday...
>>
>> no,no, The proper warning is Gerald, who will learn that netcdf saves
>> tons of time and disk space !
>
> I am not that convinced by the disk space: when I gzip my text file, I
> usually get smaller files that the netcdf ones. However, I do agree that
> they are more convenient to handle and faster to process with cpptraj.

Not just cpptraj. On a cluster here at SDSC - that uses a lustre based parallel file system:

250K atom system - ntwx=100 (needs to be short for aMD reweighting).

ioutfm = 0 - 2.7 ns/day
ioutfm = 1 - 31.6 ns/day

I wonder how many people are leaving an order of magnitude in performance on the table because they are still writing ascii trajectories?

I plan to implement Dan's suggestion - if people still want ASCII mdcrd they can set ioutfm=1 - I will leave ntxo at the current default.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/