Re: [AMBER-Developers] git logs and squashing commits

From: Brent Krueger <kruegerb.hope.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 11:51:34 -0500

Sure Dan -- thank you.

Attached are stdout and stderr from running make install a second time
right after the first failure. Let me know if it would be more informative
to do a make clean and repeat from scratch.

Thanks,
Brent

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Feb 26, 2016, at 11:12 AM, Brent Krueger <kruegerb.hope.edu> wrote:
> >
> > As someone who is responsible for a multi-user facility that currently
> > operates CentOS 5.6 and uses version 12.0 of the Intel compilers, I'd
> like
> > to second Ross's notes about working to support older (AND STABLE)
> > systems. If I'm the only one running something this old, then I will
> admit
> > that the problem is mine and we will work to upgrade, but I suspect that
> is
> > not the case.
>
> There's a difference between what we support and what we can set up to
> test through CI. As long as a CentOS 5 box has the necessary software, it
> will work. You'll just need to not use GCC 4.1.2 anymore :).
>
> CI setups have to be balanced against hardware availability constraints
> and what allocation of resources will best help limit bugs and detect
> problems early. The right balance is likely to be something we have to try
> multiple things to find the best solution.
>

> > Also, it is probably relevant for me to note that somewhere between Jan
> 14
> > and today things have stopped building nicely for me. It appears that my
> > libfftw is out of date, which seems strange to me since this is something
> > that I believe configure checks. I wonder if the code requirements
> > increased without someone updating configure accordingly? Anyway, the
> most
> > obvious error I am seeing is that I do not have libfftw3.so.3 This
> > happens at the point when the build is working on cpptraj.
> >
> > I'm attaching my build output for anyone who wishes to wade through it.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Brent
> >

> >> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
> wrote:

> testing
> >> on all OS versions that still under official support. I think this also
> >> means CentOS 5 although I don't see many systems running this anymore.
> But
> >> 6 is very ubiquitous. A lot of people still install 6 on new machines
> given
> >> how much they screwed things up in 7.

> >> Phi would be useful too).
> >>
> >> I don't think they do (although someone correct me if I'm wrong here).
> >> I think we would have to set up our own test server for things like
> >> that, but GitHub (and probably similar things like GitLab) have hooks
> >> you can set up to do this automatically (see e.g.
> >> https://developer.github.com/guides/building-a-ci-server/).
> >>
> >> Having our own servers might actually be the best way to go in the
> >> long run since we should certainly cover as many of the common
> >> environments as we possibly can, which may be a bit too much for
> >> Travis, especially considering the size of the test cases for e.g.
> >> sander. Speaking of that - after this release it may be worth seeing
> [...]

Brent P. Krueger.....................phone:   616 395 7629
Professor.................................fax:       616 395 7118
Hope College..........................Schaap Hall 2120
Department of Chemistry
Holland, MI     49423