Re: [AMBER-Developers] git logs and squashing commits

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:59:54 -0800

> On Feb 24, 2016, at 11:32 AM, Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hi,
>
> We only squash commits for cpptraj, pytraj and parmed when pulling commits
> from github repos. Last year pytraj has > 1000 commits, cpptraj > 1000
> commits, parmed > 1000 commits . If not squashing to few big commits, amber
> git log will be populated and even more difficult to debug other programs.

I don't see the issue? These would be relevant to the files in those packages. So if I did git log ./foo I would not see all those logs so it wouldn't be an issue.

> So if anyone wants to 'git blame', ... any files in those packages, he/she
> should check corresponding github repo https://github.com/Amber-MD

No no no! - this is not acceptable. We have centralized servers for AMBER. If you want to use external providers fine but it is not acceptable to require other AMBER developers to go there. This issue needs to be fixed before it gets out of hand and I am prepared to make an executive decision on this.

Ross