Re: [AMBER-Developers] Python issues...

From: Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 15:12:44 -0500

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:

> Can we at least have a section in the document - and probably we'll
> ultimately need some detailed tutorials on the website on installing - that
> lists all of the dependencies needed for AMBER. For Redhat this would be a
> list of packages that should be installed with yum install.
>
> I would argue that if a package needed to compile AMBER (just serial AMBER
> I am talking about here) is not available as part of the standard OS
> packages (or at stretch also epel for Redhat) then that module, library etc
> should really not be used and instead one should code around the need for
> it.

I don't think 'code around' is a good idea. Most of AMBER developers are
not professional programmers, coding core library by our-self will
introduce enormous bugs and required enormous amount of time in testing.
One single AMBER developer can't beat the work-horse of 399 numpy
developers (high performance array in Python) with decades of development.(
https://github.com/numpy/numpy). Additionally, we don't want to end up that
a written program is unusable since the postdoc had moved on and there was
no funding to support it: http://archive.ambermd.org/201406/0502.html

By the way, Python packages in AMBER only require well-established
libraries like numpy or matplotlib (for plotting).

Hai