Re: [AMBER-Developers] Python issues...

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 14:28:09 -0500

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 2:01 PM, Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Can we at least have a section in the document - and probably we'll ultimately need some detailed tutorials on the website on installing - that lists all of the dependencies needed for AMBER. For Redhat this would be a list of packages that should be installed with yum install.
>
> I would argue that if a package needed to compile AMBER (just serial AMBER I am talking about here) is not available as part of the standard OS packages (or at stretch also epel for Redhat) then that module, library etc should really not be used and instead one should code around the need for it. Relying on lots of third party stuff by default is just going to make things massively fragile going forward.

This doesn't hold water. By that argument we shouldn't use Fortran because it's not included with vanilla RHEL. Every program has dependencies. There's no getting around that.

The ambermd.org/ubuntu.html has all the packages you need to install (including Python packages) as a simple "yum install", including the Python packages, that will avoid the need to download miniconda. Unless you mean we should avoid anything that's not "yum-installable" instead of parts of the "raw" OS?

If anything yum installable is ok, then you can yum install all components you need already on the latest RHEL.

I am going to get the added Python docs in the manual done sometime this weekend.

All the best,
Jason