Re: [AMBER-Developers] Future CPPTRAJ Development on GitHub

From: Ross Walker <rosscwalker.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 23:07:50 -0600

Hi Dan,

I disagree with this approach. We have a centralized source repository for a reason, if it is not up to the level you need we can discuss updating it / modifying it as necessary, since AMBER and AMBERTools are single 'products'. If I want to make small tweaks here and there to cpptraj I will make them in the 'official' AMBER git tree. If you want to keep a mirror on github fine but it will be your responsibility to migrate any changes made to the central repository to your github repository. You will also need to deal with any conflicts that might arise due to the official tree being out of date with your github tree.

This might seem like a good idea to you but keep in mind that it could rapidly degenerate into tens or even hundreds of github trees here and there for everyones pet component of AMBER Tools. There is no way I am going to be searching around to piece together all the little pieces, have multiple trees on my machine for each project etc.

In my opinion this is a BAD idea and it just dilutes the brand that is AMBER and makes it more difficult for us to all work as a team on a single product.

My $0.03.

All the best
Ross