[AMBER-Developers] Future CPPTRAJ Development on GitHub

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 09:03:16 -0700

Hi All,

I'd like to request that all future development of cpptraj be done via
GitHub (https://github.com/Amber-MD/cpptraj). I've been doing all of
my development there for a few months and I really like the
development model. I have been periodically merging the changes on
GitHub back into the main Amber repository. There are several
advantages over developing in the main Amber repository:

1) It is a safer development model in that there is automated error
checking. You do development on your own "fork" of the main GitHub
repository, and then generate a "pull request" when you want to have
your changes merged in. Before you can do this, the test cases are
automatically run by Travis-CI (https://travis-ci.org). While this
won't eliminate mistakes, it should reduce them.

2) The "Issues" feature of GitHub makes it easy to track
cpptraj-related problems or feature requests. The GitHub web interface
also has a lot of other nice tools for tracking development and
collaborating.

3) It provides a mechanism to provide advanced users with the latest
features, so now only critical bugs need to be addressed by AmberTools
updates. Essentially the AmberTools version of cpptraj is the stable
release, and the GitHub version is beta.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, let me know. Thanks!

-Dan

--
Daniel R. Roe, PhD